Self-Help and Self-Referral

NHS Health Advice

Self-referral services and helpful websites

Not Sure Where To Go?

Help Us Help You: make the right choice. Self-Care: stock up your medicine cabinet so you can treat coughs, colds and minor issues at home. Pharmacy: pharmacists can offer treatment and advice for minor illnesses, as well as flu jabs. Your GP Surgery: your first contact for ongoing health concerns during normal surgery hours, your GP surgery can offer examinations, advice, prescriptions, some vaccinations and referrals. NHS 111: you should call 111 or go online to when you can't wait to see your doctor, or you need help but don't know where to go - available 24/7, 365 days a year. Urgent Treatment Centre/Minor Injuries Unit: if you need urgent care but it's not an emergency, visit a UTC or MIU for things like sprains, burns and minor fractures. Emergency departments or 999: only dial 999 or visit A&E if it is a serious or life-threatening emergency such as chest pain, severe bleeding or breathing difficulties
A pharmacist showing a lady a bottle of pills

Visit a Pharmacy

Your pharmacist can do so much more than complete your prescription. They can give you expert clinical advice for minor health concerns and help with many common illnesses like sore throats, coughs, colds, tummy troubles and aches and pains.

Pharmacists are trained experts in managing minor illnesses and using medicines safely. They can advise you on the safe use of prescription and over-the-counter medicines.

Most local pharmacies have private consultation rooms where your pharmacist can talk to you confidentially. They are not required to note anything in your medical records, which some people may prefer.

A person in a white coat holding a red stethoscope

Go to an Urgent Treatment Centre

For injuries or illnesses that are urgent but not life threatening you can use an Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC), walk-in centre or Minor Injuries Unit (MIU). It is best to try NHS 111 first to book an appointment at the nearest service to you.

NHS 111

Ask NHS 111

If you think you need medical help right now, 111 online can tell you what to do next. They will direct you to the best place to get help for your symptoms, or advise you on how to care for yourself at home.

NHS 111 call handlers can advise you where local NHS services are, help with prescriptions, offer self-care advice and even arrange appointments including giving you an arrival time at an Urgent Treatment Centre or A&E.