Show Side Menu
To view, print or save our practice booklet, click here
Online Services - click here
Follow our Facebook Page
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999
Domestic Abuse


Before filling in our registration forms, please go to the above tab "Practice Boundary" and check if you are in our catchment area for Woodlands & Clerklands Partnership.

Online registration form:

Please fill in the registration form below and return to the surgery in person along with photo ID and proof of address, such as a utility bill or bank statement.

If you absolutely do not have proof of ID or address available to you, then we can still accept your registration. However, the process is more difficult, as we need to connect your registration to any previous NHS records, and the lack of ID can create a delay in the registration process. Therefore, we would ask you to bring in photo ID and proof of address if this is at all possible for you. Thank you for your cooperation.

In order for us to complete your registration successfully, please make sure that you have completed and physically signed all sections of the registration pack before sending it back to us, otherwise this could cause a delay.

New online registration pack for adults aged 16 and over (PDF, 256KB)
New online registration pack for children under 16 (PDF, 1.00MB)

Please read our privacy notices which explains how we use any information we collect from you.

Find out who my Named Accountable GP is
Every patient has a Named Accountable GP allocated to them when they register. However, at Woodlands Surgery and Clerklands Surgery, you may book an appointment with any doctor or your preferred doctor of choice. If you would like to know who your Named Accountable GP is, then please do speak to our Patient Services Team who will be able to advise you.

Visiting the UK? You may be chargeable for NHS treatment

Whilst you can register with the GP practice as an NHS patient and see the GP without charge, you should be aware that not every person is entitled to their NHS care free of charge in England.

Generally, NHS care is free of charge for those:

  • Ordinarily resident in the UK
  • Insured by an EEA member state, eg with a valid EHIC or S1 form
  • Covered under the immigration Health Charge ("Surcharge")
  • Exempt in law - eg refugees or victims of slavery

Some services are always free to all people, eg the diagnosis and treatment of most infectious diseases

Ordinarily resident

Ordinarily resident means, broadly speaking, living in the UK on a lawful and property settled basis for the time being. You will be asked to prove this.

If you are a citizen of the European Economic Area (EAA) or Switzerland, you can become ordinarily resident when you move to England, as long as you meet the criteria above.

If you are a non-EAA national subject to immigration control, you can only be considered ordinarily resident if you have been given the immigration status of 'indefinite leave to remain' (the right to live here on a permanent basis).

However, if you are a family member of an EAA national who is resident in the UK, you may not be subject to immigration control, even though you yourself are from outside the EEA.

For more information about applying to join family living permanently in the UK, visit

If you are not ordinarily resident in the UK then you are classed as an overseas visitor and will have to pay for most treatment outside the GP practice unless exempt.

What we may do with the information about chargeable status

You may provide information about your chargeable statues at various points within the NHS, including registering with this GP practice. This information is stored on the NHS database, and shared with trained administrators, so that your chargeable status can be confirmed as soon as possible.

We may need to check your immigration status with the Home Office. We may need to share EHIC, Provisional Replacement Certificates and S1 form details with the Department for Work and Pensions and your home country (EEA only). We may also need to share some information more widely to prevent crime, including fraud.

Further sources of information or advice

Online resources:

  • 'Visting or moving to England'
  • 'Your health and care records'
  • 'Help with health costs'
  • 'Paying NHS charges'

  • 'Guidance on overseas visitors'

Advice centres:

  • Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS) at your local hospital
  • Your local Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Which overseas visitors are exempt?
  • Refugees, asylum seekers and some categories of failed asylum seekers
  • Victims of modern slavery
  • Children looked after by the local authority
  • People covered under reciprocal healthcare agreements with the UK
  • Armed forces members and some crown servants

For a full list, see 'visiting or moving to England' on

From EEA and visiting, studying or retiring to the UK?

European Health Insurance Card

Please provide details on the GP registration form of your valid, non-UK European Health Insurance Card (for visitors and students) or provide your 'S1' form [EXTERNAL PDF] (for pensioners, some workers). This will ensure that your home country funds the healthcare that may be necessary during your stay, so that you will not be asked to pay. If you are a visitor/student needing planned care, you will need an 'S2' form from your home country.

From outside EAA and here to reside in or visit the UK?

If you have been granted leave to enter or remain in the UK for a temporary period of more than six months, and have paid (or have been exempted from paying) the Immigration Health Charge (also known as the 'Surcharge'), or you believe that another exemption from charge category applies to you, please indicate this on the GP registration form. Please take documents with you to any hospital appointment to confirm your identity and any exemption you may have. - 'categories of exemption'

The rules can be complicated and this is only a brief summary, so please visit for further information or ask for help and advice from your local hospital overseas visitor team before seeking treatment at a hospital, if possible.

Charges for some NHS services

Bear in mind that even if you are ordinarily resident here or are generally exempt from charge for your NHS care, some NHS services are not free, eg prescriptions and dentistry. You may also be exempt from these charges, under separate criteria - 'Help with health costs'

What NHS services can I receive for free?

Even if you are generally chargeable, you can still receive the following services free:

  • Seeing your GP or practice nurse for any reason
  • Being tested for most suspected infectious diseases and treated for them of the test is positive
  • Family planning services (contraception)
  • Treatment for sexually transmitted infection
  • Treatment given at an Accident and Emergency unit (but not once admitted to hospital)
  • Treatment of a condition caused by FGM, torture, sexual or domestic violence (unless you have come to the UK to see this care)
  • Paying for treatment

For other services, unless exempt, you will be expected to pay in advance for treatment, unless this would delay treatment needed urgently or immediately, in which case you will expected to pay afterwards.

What if I need to go to hospital?

If your GP refers you to hospital for further treatment then you should expect to provide documents that demonstrate you are an ordinarily resident, or exempt from charge, otherwise you will have to pay. In an emergency, you should call an ambulance or go directly go to your nearest A&E department where you will receive immediate treatment to stabilize your condition. However, unless exempt, charges will apply if you are admitted to hospital.


Unless exempt, you will have to pay for any treatment related to your pregnancy but treatment will not be withheld or delayed because of payment. Ensure you speak to your midwife about your care.


If you need immigration permission to be in the UK and fail to pay an outstanding amount due to the NHS, then your non-medical details and details of the debt may be shared with the Home Office, who may decline any further visa applications until the amount is paid.

Source NHS England - June 2017

IMPORTANT PATIENT NOTICE: Please be aware that in order to register at either Woodlands Surgery or Clerklands Surgery, you will need to be a resident within our practice boundary area. If your address falls outside of our practice boundary area and you are finding it difficult to locate a surgery to register with, please call NHS England on 0300 311 22 33 and ask to speak to the Allocation Team who will assist you. If you are looking to register with a GP practice in the West Sussex area, the number to call is 07425 616194. You can also submit a GP Allocation Form online for West Sussex.

If you require immediate medical advice please contact your local NHS Walk In (based at Crawley Hospital) or call 111. For emergency medical attention, please dial 999 or attend your local accident and emergency department if you are able to do so.

Please be aware that due to the extraordinary level of demand placed on primary care in Crawley and Horley, only those patients who live within our practice boundary are can be registered. For example, in the case of Woodlands Surgery, only Tilgate residents can register, these are normally those patients with postcodes that start with RH10 5 _ _. However there are still some addresses on the outer edges of Tilgate that fall slightly outside our practice boundary and into the boundary of neighbouring practices. So we ask that you please double check before presenting to our surgery. If you do not live within our boundary area we regret that we are unable to register you and advise you to seek out your local surgery or, if they are closed to new patients, or capped then you need to contact NHS England for further advice.

To check your eligibility to register with either Woodlands Surgery (Tilgate) or with Clerklands Surgery (Horley), on the above catchment boundary tool, please enter your FULL POSTCODE in the search box, press ENTER, and select your full address on the top right corner of the boundary map.

Local Services, Let
Snap Fitness, Crawley L Hawkins & Sons Funeral Directors